Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"The DR Stole My Heart" Guest Post

This was written by my fellow DR missionary and friend, Katie. I think she perfectly describes the trip last year and the excitement we all have for this one. Enjoy reading and please keep us in your prayers!

The title I think speaks for itself. On July 10th about 39 people (teens and leaders) and I will be heading to an airport with the destination of Barahona, Dominican Republic. We are all very excited to say the least, but there's still twelve days left... twelve days to practice drama, music and puppets. Pack, and get everything ready to go. We will be staying in a place called “The Palace.” It's very nice but also near the people, which is nice. We will be building a wall at the ministry house where the “In Calvary’s Care” hosts are. We will be working on other homes and doing tons of ministry. I’m so excited to see the kids and everyone from last year. Honestly, I’ve been looking forward to this since the day I left last year. I’ve taken four years of Spanish so I’m very hopeful that it will all pay off during the week we're there. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we come into the last stretch of getting ready for the trip. Thanks so much for all the support we’ve recieved so far. We are beyond thankful for the prayers, good thoughts and donations toward our trip!! I personally must give a BIG THANK YOU to the WTHS teachers and staff that donated to my trip, as well as to my sisters' through buying candy bars and pizza kit sales. We look forward to telling everyone about the trip when we return home!!

PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE HAPPENINGS IN THE DR

As many of you know I went to the DR last year for ten days. I expected many things. Hardship, to be shocked culturally, to be completely hurt from seeing the hurt there, and I expected it to be a memorable trip. It was all of that and more. I was blown away from the kindness and joy we were shown by the ministry group “In Calvary’s Care;” the translators were awesome and the people were open to what we had to say. As sad as it is to say, here in America we're not exactly open to what others have to say as much as we used to be…but that’s just my opinion and that's not of everyone. Yet there we were invited to come into their homes to share God’s love and Word with them. It shocked me because if someone asked to sit with me in my home that was a complete stranger about something and their faith, I would probably be freaked out and ask them to leave, but they were totally accepting which was cool.

We worked hard; we built a wall out of hand, stirred cement and rocks we went hunting to find for someones home so that it would stay stable. We helped build an orphanage, worked on another home/bathroom & a lot more. To say the least we got down and dirty with the best of them. They helped us build their homes, and they did it with a smile. I’m sorry but I’ve never asked the electrician, plumber or any of them if they wanted my help to repair my home, although that's probably a good thing and I should never mess with that either but that;s not the point. The point is they were willing... Willing to work for a better tomorrow.

I honestly could ramble on forever about how wonderful the experience was, how my perspective on things has been changed forever. The beaches were beautiful. The hurt was heart-wrenching, and much of it... much because of the earthquakes and such from last year. It’s this simple... I saw a place where people need love and help... and I want to help them get it. I don’t know whether I’m going to continue these missions every summer...I would love to but God only knows. I don't ever see myself living there but I do see myself doing the best I can to continue summer missions over there.

The fact is, we need help here in the US almost if not the same amount of help that the Dominicans do. We are better off but we have our own issues, so I think it's important to stick together in them. The DR helps me realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Encouragements? Opinions?